India is not going to allow Chinese companies to participate in highway projects, including those through joint ventures, Union Minister Nitin Gadkari said on Wednesday in the midst of the China border standoff.
Gadakri also said the government would ensure that Chinese investors in various sectors such as micro , small and medium enterprises ( MSMEs) are not entertained.
The assertions of the senior minister take on significance against the backdrop of India-China border standoff in Ladakh that also saw the death last month of 20 Indian Army personnel.
The government banned 59 apps on Monday amid rising tensions, many with Chinese ties, citing threats to national security.
"We 're not going to give permission to joint ventures that have Chinese road construction partners. We've taken a firm stand that if they (Chinese companies) come to our country through a joint venture, we won't allow it," Gadkari told PTI in an interview.
The Minister for Road Transport, Highways and MSME said a policy would soon be out banning Chinese firms and easing requirements for Indian companies to extend their eligibility criteria for involvement in highway projects.
Today, several Chinese investors are interested in just a few ventures which were conducted much earlier. The Minister said when asked about this the new decision would be applied in current and future tenders.